Prepaid extra baggage
Enjoy up to 20% off extra baggage when you purchase in advance
If you’re planning on travelling with extra baggage, you can now take advantage of our new prepaid extra baggage service.
Passengers travelling on selected routes can book extra checked baggage allowance up to 24 hours before departure, and enjoy up to 20% off.
You’ll save both time and money – and enjoy peace of mind before you fly.
How to book
You can purchase prepaid extra baggage through the following channels:
- Within Manage Booking on our website.
- By telephone through your local reservations office or our Global Contact Centre.
If you have already purchased your ticket with Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon, you can log into Manage Booking to purchase your prepaid extra baggage up to 24 hours before flight departure.
Is my flight or my booking eligible?
- Prepaid extra baggage is only available on selected routes operated by Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.
- The discount applies across any connecting flights you might be making within 24 hours at the same airport.
- Not available to infant bookings without a seat.
Prepaid Extra Baggage charges by origin and destination
|Per block of 5kgs||To Hong Kong||To Zone 1||To Zone 2||To Zone 3||To Zone 4|
|From Hong Kong||-||USD 52||USD 80||USD 100||USD 180|
|From Zone 1||USD 52||USD 60||USD 80||USD 120||USD 180|
|From Zone 2||USD 80||USD 80||USD 140||USD 160||USD 180|
|From Zone 3||USD 100||USD 120||USD 160||USD 180||USD 260|
|From Zone 4||USD 180||USD 180||USD 180||USD 260||USD 260|
Purchases must be per block of 5kgs, with a maximum of 50kgs per passenger.
Please note: We will not accept a bag over 32kg / 70lbs in weight or 203cm / 80in long in total dimension without prior approval. Your bag’s total dimension is the sum of its width, height, and length.
Items that exceed the agreed size must be repacked into split-up units, otherwise they will not be accepted on the flight. To avoid disappointment, please contact your local reservation office at least three working days before you fly if your bag is oversized and/or overweight. There are exceptions for camera equipment, household effects, sporting equipment, musical instruments, mobility aids and medical equipment.
Fees are collected in the equivalent local currency.
Selected routes: within Australia; between Taiwan China and Japan/South Korea; between Thailand and Singapore; between the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain
* Not applicable for flights to Davao, Clark, Da Nang and Hanoi. Blackout travel period may be applied for flights to Manila.
** Only applicable for routes to/ from New Zealand with connecting flights beyond Hong Kong SAR.
Please note that prepaid extra baggage is non-transferrable and non-reroutable. If you change the date or time of your flight within your booking online, you’ll need to contact your local reservations office or Global Contact Centre to transfer your prepaid extra baggage purchase to your new flight.
Kindly be advised that if you change the destination in your booking, or cancel your booking, your prepaid extra baggage will be forfeited.
In the event of involuntary flight disruptions or changes, please refer to our refunds policy as stated below.
Prepaid extra baggage purchases are generally non-refundable, except for a few scenarios:
- If your flight is cancelled by Cathay Pacific Airways or Cathay Dragon.
- If you rebook into a higher cabin class to the same destination.
- If you rebook to another flight/date which falls into a blackout period.
Note that if you decide to cancel your booking or take less baggage than the amount of prepaid baggage purchased, the unused portion is non-refundable.
Please contact our local reservation office for refunds within 14 days of the date of departure. Refunds will be made only in the original form of payment and in the original currency and amount paid, after a refund request is submitted.
- “Prepaid Extra Baggage” offers the opportunity for passengers travelling on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon operated flights, to purchase extra baggage allowance ahead of the check-in period of their flight, at a discounted rate from the standard extra baggage charges applied at the check-in counter.
- Prepaid extra baggage purchases must be made for each checked-in portion of your booking, and must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the first flight of a checked-in segment.
- If you are holding a ticket issued by Cathay Pacific (ticket number beginning with 160) or Cathay Dragon (ticket number beginning with 043), you can purchase Prepaid Extra Baggage on applicable routes via Manage Booking, your local reservation office, or our Global Contact Centres.
Alternatively, passengers can purchase extra baggage allowance at the standard extra baggage charges at check-in counters at the airport.
- “Prepaid Extra Baggage” is not eligible for passenger who has the following ticket type
- Infant ticket (who does not occupy any seat)
- Ticket for an extra seat
- Group ticket holder ( GIT )
- Industrial ticket ( ID/AD )
- CX/KA codeshare flight which operated by other carrier
- “Prepaid Extra Baggage” will not be available during blackout period. Blackout period is applied for selected routes and travel period.
- “Prepaid Extra Baggage” cannot be redeemed by Asia Miles points.
- No Asia Miles mileage points are rewarded for the amount paid for “Prepaid Extra Baggage”.
- “Prepaid Extra Baggage” cannot be used to prepay charges associated with pets and diplomatic bags.
- Where two or more passengers have booked together and there is a pooled or grouped “Prepaid Extra Baggage” allowance, all members of the group are required to check-in together to ensure acceptance of prepaid extra baggage at the prepaid rate. Failure to do so may result in additional excess baggage charges.
- “Prepaid Extra Baggage” is non-transferable and non-rerouteable. If a passenger decides to rebook the flight/date, “Prepaid Extra Baggage” payment can be transferred to the new flight/date. Note that “Prepaid Extra Baggage” purchases cannot be transferred to another origin, destination, booking, nor passenger.
- In the event of flight irregularity, the “Prepaid Extra Baggage” allowance will be transferred to the new flight which operated by CX/KA.
- “Prepaid Extra Baggage” is “non-refundable” except for below scenarios. Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon will issue a refund for the “Prepaid Extra Baggage” charges if the extra baggage allowance is not fully utilized under the following conditions:
- The flight is cancelled by Cathay Pacific Airways or Cathay Dragon.
- Passenger rebooks into a higher cabin class to the same destination.
- Passenger rebooks to another flight/date which falls into a blackout period.
- Passenger is re-accommodated onto another airline, by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon.
Please contact our local reservation office for refund within 14 days of the date of departure. Refunds will be made in the original form of payment after refund submitted.
- If you decide to cancel your booking or take less baggage than your prepaid bag allowance, the unused portion is non-refundable.
- Upon check-in, if you exceed your total baggage allowance, including purchased “Prepaid Extra Baggage” and original ticket allowance, the standard extra baggage charges will be collected at check-in counter in the airport.
- Carriage of prepaid bag is subject to Cathay Pacific and/or Cathay Dragon Conditions of Carriage and carrier rules. Passengers are required to comply with Cathay Pacific Airways and Cathay Dragon’s restrictions on prohibited and unacceptable items.
- Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon reserve the right to refuse carriage as baggage for any reason according to the Baggage information of controlled and banned item.
- Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon reserve the right to adjust the amount of the Prepaid Extra Baggage Fee and revise these terms and conditions at any time without notice.
- Please contact our local reservation office if you have any technical problems when purchasing Prepaid Extra Baggage on Manage booking.
- In case of any discrepancy between the English version and any translated version of these Terms and Conditions, the English version shall prevail.